Sunday, July 8, 2007

Still me, only different.

I am still an only child, I am still married, I am still me but this trip had changed me completely. When I sign up for this three week adventure to Spain, I had not idea that deep impact it would have on me as person. I knew that taking two college classes while on the move was going to be a challenge so I can say that I was shocked to see the amount of work and dedication it took to stay on top of all of our assignments. We usually had an hour to sit down and write our blogs, respond to emails and well honestly check myspace.com. Taking a class abroad yes was hard but I learned more in those three weeks in Spain that I could have ever learned in a regular classroom setting. The books came alive to me. After reading one chapter about the history of Spain, we usually had the opportunity to visit these magnificent places. It made history came alive, these places, the battle and the people where real. It is hard to understand what really happened from black and white, but seeing the palaces, the ruins made it real.


I had read about the Moors influence in Spain but I did not realize as to what extent. I was only after spending the day at La Alhambra that it made sense. I could undresntand why the Moors did not want to leave their paradise.

Studying abroad open my eyes to the world. Seeing how another culture functions, seeing the advances and disadvantages made me realized that as a person I could make a difference, I can make the world better. I have to be honest I wish the United States would adopt some of the European ways, especially siesta and the awareness of the environment. I was so impress as to how easy it was to get around Spain, how clean it was and how life seems to revolve around food and good company. I know that I will return to Spain, actually I have chosen to study at the university of San Sebastian next summer as part of my degree in Bilingual Communication. I also know that when ever someone was to ask my opinion if they should study abroad, I am sure I will scream at them and say “GO, go get your suitcase ready!” Spain has gotten under my skin and I feel the need to return and gain more experience. The travel bug has really gotten a hold of me. Not only do I wish to return to Europe, I wish to see more of the world. If I was able to gain this much from just three short weeks in Spain, I can only imagine what more I could learn from seeing the rest of our world. I encourage for anyone who has the opportunity to travel to do it with an open mind and a good attitude, no travel is perfect but that is where the fun part usually starts

No comments: