Saturday, June 16, 2007

First impression are everything.



June 16th, 2007


San Sebastian


Throughout Spain’s history, there has been as influence of other cultures. During this trip, I have seen all the places that we have read about in our textbooks for example, the Palacio Real de Madrid where King Felipe II ruled. This week we have been traveling through the north part of Spain. For the last two days, we have been in San Sebastian, which was originally control by the Basques until the Spanish reconquista began. In addition, we explored Burgos, which was also heavily influenced by the gothic styles especially in churches, with their giant in structures and crafted to the smallest details. It is sometimes hard to comprehend how back in the 18th century architects. Were able to build such magnificent structures without the modern technology we have today. All I could do was to stand within these magnificent places of history and soak in all its beauty.


San Sebastian has been so far my favorite place so far. I am tempted to hide under my bed and stay here. Today we took a 2-hour walking tour of the city. We saw the beach, and for the first time I almost cried because it reminded me so much of Antofagasta, Chile where I was born and raised. The people here are so friendly and helpful. We had an excellent tour guide who took us to the top of a hill to get a panoramic view of the city. It was simply breathtaking. To one side the deep blue sea, the shore filled with white sailboats and people walking on the beach, and to the other side we could see the mountains that divided the border between Spain and France. Actually, the French border is only 20 miles away, too bad we only had two days in San Sebastian otherwise I would of love to take a day trip across the border. Next time I will.









Me in San Sebastian






Sailboats in San Sebastian

No comments: