Thursday, June 14, 2007

The World is a book.....

Burgos, Spain

June 14th, 2007


"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page,” said Saint Augustine, it was this very phrase that inspired me to travel and see the world, I only hope that reading about my experiences will inspire others to do the same and get out to see the world.

Spain had been magnificent, to say the least. Everyone I meet is warm and welcoming. Some people may feel that because they do not speak the language of the country they would like to travel it will hinder their experience, but let me assure you that it is not the case here in Spain. I am fortunate to be able to manage the language, but for those whom do not, anywhere you go in Spain people will give their best effort to speak in English and make you feel welcome, like an old friend that is just happy to see you.

Important lessons I have learn form this trip so far, is that it is possible to have a clean, organized and interesting country if everyone works together. Anywhere in Spain people take pride on their city but providing clean fuel public transportation, and metros to alleviate the congestions on the streets and reduce pollution. I ask my self, why could we not take more pride about our environment? Especially being a world leader the US should take a queue from Spain in the environment advances made here.

Traveling to another county should be more than just going out to see new things, or shopping. It should also be about learning why those sites are there to begin, for example La Cathedral de Burgos took over 300 years to build and is still standing strong and just as beautiful. It is important since it is the resting place for El Cid, who is a hero to the Spaniards. Understanding the past allows us to comprehend the future. Everyone should care about other cultures and become a well-rounded individual. I believe the best way to gain this experience is to travel to those places that call the heart.

Personally, these few days of being away from United States has open my eyes to how sheltered and narrow minded some people can be about others places around the world. I aspire to bring new ideas back to the United States about how we can improve as a community, and hope for a better place to live.

1 comment:

mirtha said...

Yes! traveleing open the eyes to a new world to everyone who wants to see what is beyond your own nose.It made me appreciate the past,respect it and encouraged me to learn some more about other people,traveling also opened doors to new friends,enriched already existing friendship,brought me closer to my husband and my family. Traveling has always been a learning experience and I am so grateful you had given this exiting oportunity to travel to the old world of Spain from where most likely our ancestors came from; (otherwise from where we got the last names of Diaz, Silva,Espinoza,Rojas,Arqueros, that runs in our family).
Yes! bring with you new ideas,concepts,bring back yourself richer in knowledge and happiness!!!

Thank you for your thoughts!!!